14 May 2017

mother's day 2017

Bismillahirrahmanirrahim.

Today's Mother's Day, and apparently I'm one of those people that was only alerted to these kind of days through social media. As I scrambled to find a picture of me with my mom, many thoughts ran through my head. There are happy moments, but there are unhappy moments too.

My mom is not perfect. She is far from it. She made many mistakes, forgetting to do certain things and ignored certain others. She could never remember how to print or scan things for her school works for example, and I would be taken away from my tv shows to repeat the things that I had taught her the day before. I grew up wishing that my mom would be better, criticising her on things that I thought she could improve on. I blamed her for a lot of things, thinking that she's an adult (more than me) so she should 'know'. I was still a child, so I thought that I can be excused for my mistakes because I am still learning. I was essentially, arrogant towards her.

But I was forgetting that as I am learning how to be a good daughter, my mom was also learning on how to be a mother. For heaven's sake, nobody was born to be a mother. As I kept remembering what I thought to be her weaknesses, I overlooked her strength. How she never fails to wake up the earliest every morning (except that one time, and everyone basically went to work and school late 😂). How she took everything that I wanted to eat seriously ("Didn't you say you want this soya bean yesterday?"). How she would embarrass me by flaunting my achievements to the people who would listen (I was ketua kelas in sekolah rendah. SEKOLAH RENDAH). And how she would fuss over me when I was sick, making sure that I took my medicine and telling me off when I tried to act as if I was sick much longer that I should. Little by little, I realised how much effort my mom made in order to be a mother to us, and it only took 20+ years though. 

I used to think that I prefer my dad more cause he's the cool and calm one in the family (basically he doesn't get angry at us). But now my mom's the one that I'm most comfortable with telling things and I usually have frustrating silent moments with my dad instead (I still love you dad please don't disown me).

I would never say that my mom's a perfect mother. But to me, she's already perfect herself, and that is more than enough to us.

Happy mother's day to all moms! <3 And to my mom, I love you!!




No comments:

Post a Comment